Potatoes are favorite Czech ingredients for a side dish. Boiled, mashed potato puree, baked in the oven, even fries. There’s a lot of ways to prepare them.
Crushed potatoes (coarsely mashed) are a valid and good choice. Complemented by scallion and fried bacon, they work incredibly well with every fried food or slow cooked meat.
How to make Czech šťouchané brambory
- Clean the potatoes, peel them and cut into smaller pieces.
- Cook them in salted water until soft.
- Fry diced bacon and chopped scallions in a pan, where you heated up butter before.
- Crush drained potatoes with a masher, put in the fried bacon with scallions and mix together.
- Season with freshly ground pepper and salt, serve as a side dish or as a warm snack.
Which Kind of Potatoes to Use for This Recipe
Medium-starch potatoes are the best for this dish.
Potatoes are labeled and sold as cathegories A, B, and C in the Czech Republic. The letter indicates starch percentage in the potatoes.
A-label potatoes are the least starchiest while C-label potatoes are most starchy.
Scallion and bacon are typical ingredients in the Czech republic. They give a huge flavor boost to the crushed potatoes.
TIP: Serve štouchané brambory with Czech breaded fried cheese, famous smažený sýr!
Šťouchané Brambory – Czech Crushed Potatoes
- 2 1/4 lbs (1 kg) potatoes
- 5 oz (150 g) bacon
- 4 scallions spring onion with green parts
- 3/4 stick (90 g) butter
- 4 Tbsp whole milk
- Wash and dry the scallion. Cut out the roots and the upper third of the green portion. Cut the scallion including the green parts into pieces about ¼ inch in size.
- Dice the bacon into pieces about ¼ inch in size.
- Peel the potatoes and boil them in a pot with salt water about 15-20 minutes until they're tender. Drain the boiled potatoes in a colander.
- Heat up the butter in a pan on medium temperature.
- Add bacon and scallion and mix for two minutes.
- Pour the contents of the pan together with the hot boiled potatoes.
- Add some milk and crush the mixture with the masher or the back of fork.
- Flavor the meal with salt and mix it.