It´s time for an egg custard meal you remember mainly from your childhood! Šunkofleky, Czech ham and noodle bake, a tummy warming blend of pasta with smoked meat and plenty of eggs.
What Is Šunkofleky?
Šunkofleky are a traditional Czech dish, very easy to prepare. They are a type of cooked pasta in square shape, richly buttered, with diced smoked meat and eggs. The blend is then baked in the oven.
Baked šunkofleky are cut into pieces, and can be garnished with parsley sprig. Pickles are traditionally served with šunkofleky.
Ingredients For Šunkofleky
This recipe contains only basic ingredients, but the result is incredible.
- Cooked Fleky-pasta
- Entire piece of smoked bacon
- Salt and pepper
And that’s all. Incredible, isn’t it?
Which Pasta Should Be Used to Prepare Šunkofleky?
Šunkofleky are made out of type of pasta, known in the Czech Republic as „fleky“ or „flíčky“. They are wide noodles cut in squares. Their name is contained in the dish’s name.
You can also use plain wide noodles as well. The egg custard finds the ins and outs making for a compact finished product that doesn´t crumble while it´s served on the plate.
The Best Meat For šunkofleky
Although šunkofleky by could be translated as „ham and pasta“, the best meat to put into them is smoked meat. A whole piece of bacon (not sliced) is ideal, which we’ll then dice.
Cubed bacon is fried on a pan in a small layer of fat before adding it to the pasta, which pronounces the taste of the smoked meat.
How Long to Bake Šunkofleky, a Ham and Noodle Casserole Made With Cooked Noodles?
Šunkofleky aren’t baked for long. Noodles are already boiled and the meat is pre-fried. We need the eggs holding this meal together to be baked enough.
Šunkofleky are baked in an oven preheated to 180 °C without hot air circulation. They’re added into a well-buttered baking dish.
It takes about 20-30 minutes to bake them, it depends on the baking mold’s material and on the height of the layer of šunkofleky you’re baking.
For example, in my cast iron baking dish it takes about 5-10 minutes more to bake them, since cast iron takes a while to heat.
The lower the layer of pasta, the quicker they’ll be finished.
Šunkofleky are baked in a baking dish without a lid. I do not recommend turning hot air circulation on, since it dries the surface of the pasta and its top layer is then very hard and nonedible.
Šunkofleky – Czech Ham and Pasta Casserole
- 1 1/10 lbs (500 g) pasta fleky widenoodles cut in squares, or simply wide noodles
- 9 oz (250 g) bacon in one piece half fat half lean
- 8 whole eggs
- 1/2 stick (50 g) butter unsalted some more to grease up the baking dish
- parsley strig to garnish
- Grease the baking dish thoroughly with butter. I used a 9×12 inches cast iron casserole dish.
- Heat up the oven to 350 °F (180 °C), without hot air circulation.
- Cook the pasta in salt water al dente, follow the instructions of the manufacturer.
- Meanwhile, dice the bacon into pieces about 1/2 inch in size and fry them in a pan with butter.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and whip them gently with a fork and flavor them with salt.
- Strain the pasta, put it into a larger bowl and mix in butter, until it dissolves.
- Mix the still hot pasta with fried bacon, flavor with salt and pepper, add eggs.
- Layer the pasta blend into the greased dish and bake for 30 minutes until the surface turns gold.
- Let šunkofleky a bit cool down, cut in squares and put it on the plate. Garnish with green parsley.
- Serve with pickles.